Camas Washington History
This collection consists of two newspapers produced by an anarchist commune in Lake Bay, Washington, in the late 1890s. It contains a historic Clark County newspaper that published the first newspaper in the Washington Territory. This group of men met and formed the original Washington State Grange and was responsible for the founding of Washington State and a number of other anarchist organizations.
The bells still call boys and girls together, just as they did a hundred years ago on the eve of Christmas in Lake Bay, Washington.
While the Kiowa and Comanche Indian tribes shared land in the southern plains, the American Indians in the northwestern and southeastern territories were limited to the Indian territory of what is now Oklahoma because of the US government's policy of sharing land with them. Before any white man entered this area, it was populated by Sioux, Cherokee and Iroquois. These were the tribes that the Lewis and Clark Expedition met in Port Camas, Washougal, in 1805. Lewis & Clark named it "White Brant Island" after the waterfowl found and shot there, many of which shot themselves.
The corps stayed in the area for several days and discovered Multnomah (now Willamette River in Oregon) before heading east home.
American explorer Lewis and Clark stopped here for a few days before travelling across the Columbia and out to sea. Lewis & Clark first came here in 1805 and continued to document the first permanent settlement of the US West Coast in Oregon and Washington in 1906.
Around the same time, farmers from the Palouse area of eastern Washington settled in the dry land of Camas Prairie. Cama's became the first city in Washington state to receive a grant and the first permanent settlement in the state.
In 1820, John C. Smith, a member of the US Army Corps of Engineers, was the first white to enter Camas Prairie. Clark County tax records from 1886 to 1891 contain a number of tax records for the city of Cama's and the city itself. It also contains the names and addresses of several other local businesses, such as a grocery store and a hotel.
In 1853 Pittock set off from Pittsburgh to the West Coast and took a job as typesetter for the weekly Oregon in Portland. He traveled to Portland to build the Quaker Oats Plant on Swan Island, but stopped at Camas Prairie to visit his old friend and neighbor John C. Smith and his family.
Pittock and LaCamas Colony bought 2,600 hectares of land to create the Columbia Paper Company, which began production in 1885 and merged with the Oregon City Crown Paper Company in 1905 to produce Crown - Columbia - Paper. In 1887, Columbia City and Columbia County, Washington, merged to form Crown Columbia Paper Company, a subsidiary of the US government.
Camas was founded as a "mill company" that had claimed a share 20 years earlier, and Camas was incorporated.
The history of the mill dates back to 1883, when Henry Pittock, who owned an Oregon newspaper, founded a company called Lacamas Colony Company. La Camas Colony, founded by Pittocks, was bought to create the Columbia River Paper Company, which began production the following year and two years later.
The Oregon Shortline Railroad, later taken over by Union Pacific, was completed in 1911 and ran from Richfield to Hill City. In 1852, a wagon route was established from Camas Prairie, used by pioneers on the way to Oregon, and established in Oregon.
The Camas lily is still found in the area and the plant is abundant near the confluence of the Washougal River with Colombia. Camas was officially founded in 1906 and named after the town of the same name in Oregon, a small town on the Oregon-Washington border. The area is named La Cama Lake, which is also named after La Camas Creek (later shortened to Lacamas), which named the area after Lacamas.
Camas is located at the confluence of the Washougal River and the Colombia River in the Columbia River Valley in Washington. According to the United States Census Bureau definition, Camas is located within the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, on the Oregon-Washington border, at a distance of about 1,500 miles (2,000 kilometers).
In the early 19th century, about 1,000 people lived in Camas, Washington, most of them in the area known as Plateau Culture.
In 1851, to allay concerns, the US government organized a conference for several local Indian tribes and established the Treaty of Fort Laramie. In 1852, an army unit was sent from Fort Boise to Camas Prairie to protect the Indians from troublesome settlers who wanted to steal their horses.
As accurate as Hathaway's memory may have been, it is certain that something must have happened nearby, for Pittock and his newspaper, the Oregon, were responsible for founding the city in 1883. In the mid-19th century, a paper mill was founded in Camas Prairie under the leadership of William Pittocks, a wealthy entrepreneur from England, who settled in Oregon, where he published the still existing "Oregon." The lake is not square, but the early pioneers called it "round," as Robert E. Roberts, one of the earliest settlers, said, and it was not a square body of water.